Sunday, June 17, 2007

Wednesday

I saw no protestors at Wednesday's planned execution. Maybe they come later, closer to the time the inmate is scheduled to die. There were media there - lots of them - more than a dozen, all in suits and ties, most seemingly disappointed that Emmett received a stay.

An Associated Press reporter, a woman her colleagues call the "Death Angel" for her ongoing coverage of executions, the Virginia Tech slayings etc., was there. We talked and, a veteran of several executions there herself, she explained what would happen, what to expect. There are two executions she remembers - not for the event, but for the moments when the inmate's eyes met hers.

I didn't see the family. They received word of the stay from the media - who called for comment only to learn that was the first word they'd heard.

I admit. It was disappointing for me - not that the state didn't kill a man - but that, like the family, this isn't over for me. Emmett's execution, barring commutation I suppose, was rescheduled for Oct. 17. When I accepted this assignment I thought it would be over June 13, maybe by June 17 after I wrapped up the blog, wrote the final stories etc. etc. Shock.

It doesn't end now. This must be what it feels like for the families of the victim. It's not about the actual execution. As long as Emmett's alive there is no end to the story. He's alive. For the family that means the emotions, the hate, the anger are alive too. Their "closure" is in seeing Emmett dead. My closure is in seeing Emmett dead or his sentence commuted. The story goes on just as the debate about the death penalty goes on. It's difficult. I feel like I've grabbed a tiger by the tail and I can't let go.

No comments: