Monday, June 11, 2007

Emmett's eyes


I'm ashamed. I thought I had looked into Emmett's eyes, if only in his photograph, but I failed to notice he had one blue eye and one brown eye. The copy desk caught it. They're artists. They see these things. I looked and never saw it. His right eye is blue. His left eye is brown.

"Did you notice this?" they asked. I hadn't. So we stared. We gathered around the computer and listened to the air conditioner hum and telephones ring and we looked at the full, four-color image of Christopher Scott Emmett in his last photo. It's the last picture he'll have before he's executed on Wednesday and he's staring back at us with one brown eye and one blue.

Why do you think that is? Someone asks. I don't know. Maybe it's symbolic, but of what? I come back to my computer and I sit down and I can't get the image out of my head. One blue. One brown. Forever it will burn in my mind and I can't even tell myself why.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emmett probably has a glass eye - I am assuming it is the blue colored one, because of the unnatural position of the pupil in response to light.