Monday, June 11, 2007

What forgiveness looks like...

Michael and Sandi Langley

Monday, May 28, 2007

Michael and Sandi Langley had two important things to say to Christopher Scott Emmett. One, they wanted him to know they forgive him for murdering their father/father-in-law. Two, they want to see him die knowing the Lord Jesus as his personal savior so he doesn't spend eternity in hell. They wrote him this letter, but have been unable to get into the prison or send it in time so Emmett gets it. Here it is, in its entirity, hoping someone passes it along to Emmett. It doesn't matter if you, dear reader, agree, disagree or think this is more religious nonsense. It is from the heart and should be read as such - whether you agree or not.

Understand that the concept of forgiveness is what Christ preached. And remember too, these words were written by a man who's father was murdered. Michael Langley hadn't yet turned 21. He hadn't had his first child. He hadn't graduated from college yet - but was on the verge of it. There are a lot of things he and his father will never do. And he thought about all those things for several years before he became a christian and before he decided to forgive his father's murderer. Could you have written this?

"Dear Mr. Emmett,

I couldn’t let this time pass without letting you know that you have been on my heart and my mind. I come here today to let you know that I forgive you for taking my dad’s life. Several years ago, I was reading in my Bible and came across a passage in Matthew that really spoke to me. God’s word says in Matthew 6:14-15, “For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.”

These verses opened my eyes and heart and I was convicted. In order for God to forgive me of my sins and wrong doings, then I have to forgive the people who sin (and have sinned) against me. In order for me to properly worship God, then I have to ask him to forgive me of my sins. As long as I was storing up hatred in my heart against you and not forgiving you for what you did, then I was in sin and the Lord could not forgive me. Once I forgave you in my heart and confessed it before the Lord, he was then able to forgive me of my sins.

Not only do I want to forgive you because that is what the Bible—God’s word has commanded me to do, but I also want to show you the same love that Jesus Christ has shown me. As a Christian, I am supposed to share God’s word with all the people I come in contact with. I do not know where you stand spiritually, but I do want you to know that I want you to be rejoicing in heaven with me one day. It’s never too late to commit your life to Christ and it is as easy as ABC.

You first have to ACKNOWLEDGE you are a sinner: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”—Romans 3:23. Next you have to BELIEVE that Jesus died for your sins, was buried and was raised from the dead. “If you shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in thy heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”—Romans 10:9. And lastly, you have to CALL on the Lord in faith and repentance. “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”—Romans 10:13. I ask you today that if you have not surrendered your life to Christ, then please take time to read through these verses and pray to accept Christ as your Lord and Savior. Once you have accepted him and asked for forgiveness, he will wash all of your sins away and you will live an eternal life with him in heaven.

Thank you for taking time to read this letter. I just wanted to take a moment and share the love that Christ has for you and me. I pray that your heart is right with God. No matter what happens from this day forward, I will be praying for you. I pray that you take this information and share it with others that you may come in contact with, so that you can make a difference in someone else’s life and show them that there is everlasting hope with Christ Jesus.


In Christ,

Michael Langley

1 comment:

beth cioffoletti said...

Who is the killing for?

The killing of Christopher Scott Emmett is not for the family of the victim.

Even when the victim's family requests that the murderer not be executed, the laws surrounding an execution do not allow their interference.

In fact, the killing of Mr. Emmett is much darker than the misunderstood Biblical mandate, "an eye for an eye ...". The Death Penalty exists in this country for the monetary profit of the lawyers, judges and politicians who are in the business of Capital Punishment.

If you look deep enough, this is the truth that you will find.