Friday, June 1, 2007

Preparations

Will I look into Christopher Scott Emmett's eyes and dance the dance? Will I allow myself to connect on a very human level and become vulnerable and therefore deeply impacted by his execution; or will I stare at that space between his eyes and remind myself that he was addicted to crack and he killed a co-worker for $100 to buy drugs. How human am I? How far does compassion go? Am I there to report on an execution? Or am I there to chronicle the passing of a human being?

I'm making preparations for the execution. Back to business. What angle will I take, my editor asks. We are building the story. Christopher Scott Emmett, I learn from the internet sites, had a troubled childhood. He was in and out of juvenile facilities, saw counselors, made bad decisions and ultimately made the decision that would cost him his life. What do the opponents to the death penalty say? What do those who support the death penalty say. Background. Background. Then....

"Can you get an interview with him?" my editor asks. "I don't think the state will object if he's okay with it." There it is. In so many words, "Look into his eyes," my boss is saying.

Now I must contact Emmett's attorney and hope for an interview. The only question now, I ask myself, is what will I do if I'm granted the interview?

No comments: